Are you feeling over-burdened because of lack of organization?
– Or –
Perhaps you’re usually organized but life has gotten so busy lately, everything has gotten ahead of you.
No worries. Even our best attempts at keeping our homes and ourselves organized can fall short and before we know it, we’re looking at a colossal mess wondering
“Where on earth do I even start?”
Let’s say it’s the house which looks like a hurricane hit it, maybe even twice. When things get to this point, it is best to break it down into smaller pieces because looking at it as a whole with everything that must be done, is far too overwhelming. Breaking it down into smaller, bite-sized chunks though, makes the chaos easier to crush.
First things first:
- Gather up all the dirty laundry in all the rooms
- Take it to the laundry room, sort it and throw in the first load
- Starting with one room, pick up all items which are not in their place and put them in a basket or container. Set this aside.
- Straighten covers, pillows etc.
- Dust all horizontal surfaces, shaking out doilies etc. as you go
- Start with the higher areas, then move down to the lower areas
- Sweep or vacuum floor
- Place the items from your basket back on to their proper place
- Mop floors as necessary
While you’re waiting for the floor to dry is a good time to check on the laundry. If the first load is done, place it in the dryer or hang it up to dry. Start the second load.
On to room number two and repeat above steps until all rooms are done. Depending on the level of disarray and the size of your living space, it may take a while to complete the process for your whole home. This is ok. Dividing it up into a couple of days is no problem at all (and, in my experience, the mess will still be waiting there for you tomorrow! )
Once complete, reward yourself with a hot cup of coffee or tea and a cookie while you admire all your hard, beautiful work!